top of page

RYA The ICC and Proof of Competence Abroad

Boating Abroad

Planning on going boating abroad?

Don't get caught out. Many European countries require the skipper of a pleasure craft to be able to provide evidence of his or her competence. In practice, documentary evidence may seldom be inspected, but it is generally useful and in some countries essential to carry an ICC.



Anyone requiring an ICC valid for inland waters must pass the CEVNI Test.

The test can be arranged through us here at Dover Sea Sports as we are a RYA interactive training centre.

The test is in the form of a multiple choice paper which checks your knowledge of the rules and signs that skippers of pleasure craft are expected to know and follow. 

It is entirely down to you as to where you take the test. It can be here at our Dover Sea Sports Centre or remotely from anywhere in the world.


The 'RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)' publication G17 provides the information you need to learn the code in a clear and concise way - a sample paper can be found at the back of the book.

Once you have completed the CEVNI test, you will be told immediately whether you have been successful or not.

Telephone the office to enrol

01304 805 799

RYA International Certificate of Competence
bottom of page